The International Association of Centers for Federal Studies (IACFS) is an interdisciplinary association of Centers and Institutes throughout the world with interests in independent research and publication about political, constitutional, legal, administrative, fiscal, economic, historical and philosophical issues relevant to political systems which have federal features. The Association seeks to further the study and understanding of federal principles and patterns in all their variety.
The Association pursues these goals through:
- Maintenance of an active scholarly network, through which information is exchanged, conferences held, publications are disseminated and data is collected and held;
- Stimulation and sponsorship of research on theories and practice of federalism;
- Involvement in educational, advising and consulting activities to assist the understanding and application of federalism in the contemporary world;
- Encouragement of the formation of additional institutions concerned with the study of federalism; and
- Expansion of federal studies among the academic communities of the members' respective countries.